Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Did I learn anything today? Not really. Instead, I have questions.

1) I don't know what to do with my eyes while listening to NPR. I don't knit, I don't drive, my commute is short and on bicycle, and although I sometimes cook I do not cook for nearly as many hours a week as I would like to spend listening to Ira Glass's voice. What do you do with your eyes? Does someone make picturebooks for grownups that I could stare at?

2) I was reading an essay about Wagner by Shaw, and Shaw made me feel like an ass (as only Shaw can) for being mostly unfamiliar with the Ring Cycle. Which is to say, I've seen "What's Opera, Doc?" and Larry O'Keefe's "Magic Futon" several times each, but that's about it. Is there a way to become acquainted with the Ring that doesn't involve listening to 15 hours of opera?

2 comments:

  1. 1)You go sit somewhere with lots of people around who are not making too much noise, and you peoplewatch. Duh. Or you clean your apartment, in which case, it actually is clean. Or you cook more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or you play fairly mindless computer games. Although I keep thinking that I really ought to take up knitting if I'm going to listen to this much NPR.

    ReplyDelete