Thursday, January 28, 2010

Today I learned academic things! I had the first meeting of my class at the design school, which is on the history of immersive entertainment spaces - aka the history of awesome. We were discussing various attributes of immersive experiences, including artificial synesthesia, loss of boundaries between self and context or others, and cognitive overload.

Also on the list was the loss of agency. I argued that this attribute should be more accurately listed as just a change in one's level of personal agency, not necessarily a loss, because some immersive experiences (I specifically named Sleep No More and the holodeck) are characterized by extremely high levels of agency within a narrative space. The professor pointed out that what I identified is really just the flip side of the same coin - in order to have the illusion of agency, the designer must have an incredibly high level of control over all the elements. The greater the illusion of agency, the less agency the individual actually has.

This blew my mind, a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment