Friday, January 9, 2009

Nerdy neckwear

This fine lady is knitting me a Doctor Who scarf! Okay, well, technically I suppose she is knitting my sister a Doctor Who scarf, to use in an act. My sister is the Mama Rose of Alpha Psi Ecdysia, the SUNY New Paltz burlesque troupe (yes.) and in her nascent fandom, she has latched on to the idea of developing a Doctor Who act. Which would be understood by approximately nine people in all of New Paltz, but, whatever. Maybe they can do a tour to Old Paltz - that's probably somewhere in England, right?

Anyway, Jess is knitting us a 4th Doctor scarf (season 12, for those who care about such things), which Jenny will use in an act, and which I will then get to wear.

I have decided that scarves are truly the way to go in terms of under-the-radar nerdiness displays. I already have a Gryffindor scarf (or at any rate, a red and yellow scarf that I declared a Gryffindor scarf long before "official" such things existed). And my sister has, yes, a RENT scarf. And when Madame Nostradamus is done, we will have a Doctor Who scarf. That is three nerdy-reference scarves. Three equals a collection.* So now we must accumulate other nerdy-reference scarves.

Problem is... we can't think of any other fictional characters with distinctive neck wear. Help?


*other things I have three of, and therefore constitute collections:
  • times I have performed in public on instruments I do not know how to play
  • recordings of great works of American literature that should not have been made into operas
  • friends named Ben who play the ukulele

4 comments:

  1. Ahem. It is not a Dr. Who ACT. Rather, our entire nerd-themed show (Alpha Psi Ecdysia: Dungeons and Drag Queens) will be hosted by the good Doctor--only every few acts, a different actor will play him. Ever see a boa strip performed with a 16 ft. scarf? You will now!

    Jemy

    ReplyDelete
  2. A) I rule.
    B) I am now following you on this here blogosphere. Can I say that? Blogosphere?
    C) Its mostly for you, she just wants to use it first. And it belongs to whoever pays me back for the yarn.
    D) Its probably gonna top out at 12 feet, though it'll stretch some with wear and washing. At present, it is 16 inches. There will be one photo posted per foot of scarf. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. From now on, every time I see Tom Baker throw his scarf around him with a flourish, I'll now have the mental image of him doing a burlesque show.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sherlock scarf.
    Merlin scarf.

    ReplyDelete