Wednesday, February 11, 2009

An Inauspicious Start

(I'm gonna backdate (backtime?) entries that I write by hand to reflect when they were actually written)

For two hours this afternoon, I could not find my passport.

It had been in plain sight for, oh, six months. It was my primary id in November, when I lost my wallet. It spent several months atop a pile of stuff in the den. It came to Florida, quite unnecessarily, just a few weeks ago.

Question was - did it come home?

For two sickening hours, I thought the answer was no. Or rather, for one hour I thought that Mom had stuffed my passport in a drawer in a cleaning fit and forgotten about it. And then for another hour I was convinced I'd left it in Epcot and that was the closest I was ever gonna get to Europe this year.

I was nauseus, I was panicked, I was deer-in-headlights'd, I was plotting how I could go into hiding for the next few weeks so I wouldn't have to tell everyone what happened.

And then I pulled the den couch forward, and burst into tears. Thank fucking god.

Back to packing...

No comments:

Post a Comment